Someday Someplace...

July 29, 2006

Torn between home? and home.

I wrote this post some time ago, had forgotten about it...

Everytime I need to get out of my apartment, for anything, I need to make sure I’m looking Fine - something that really annoys my mom. The minute she asks me to go pick up something from someone waiting down, get some groceries or fetch something from the car, I have to either change into something sober or do my hair.

Well no, it isn’t a girly habit, its just because, every time I step out of the house I just have to meet someone I know. There are people all over this place that know me, and I’d be conscious if they saw me untidy or dressed like I just got out of bed.

The reverse happens when I go ‘back home’ (as many comparatively recent Indian expats refer to it as) to India. I don’t care how I’m dressed or how I look, which direction my hair is pointing, what I’m wearing or how I’m looking. I can just walk out of the house there without bothering about anything – no one knows me, who cares?

Usually I walk my way to work – a fair 15 minute walk through Karama. On the way, I am waved at by some relative/ friend passing by in his/her car, smiled at by some shopkeepers whose stores I frequent since a child, greeted by some random persons I know, just growing up in this place.

Ever since I’ve discovered Google Earth, I’ve indulged myself in playing around marking places I know. It took me about 15 minutes to spot my house here in Dubai and one week of struggle to figure out my place in Mumbai. Anyway, once I did find my house there in Mumbai – I quickly pegged it and tried to name it ‘Home’. I couldn’t. Since I’d already named my place in Dubai ‘Home’. I obviously couldn’t have another ‘Home’.

So…..which is actually Home to me?

A place where I was born in, went the same school as both my parents did (yes, in Dubai), grew up, built an identity where people know me, a place I am familiar with or a place where I visit for a month once in 3-4 years?

A place where my entire family struggles to survive, has no definite future, a place we may have to leave any moment some Sheikh decides we must, or a place that we have an apartment of our own – for sure, a place where we don’t even have a telephone number, a place I could easily get lost, but always turn to if I had to.

Often asked this question “where’re you from?” I say ‘Dubai’, the response I get is “no, where are you originally from?”; “I’m Indian”; “Yea so where in India?”; “Mumbai”; “so you’re a Maharashtrian/Marathi”, “No”; “Where in India are you originally from”; “No where in India particularly, cuz that part now belongs to Pakistan”;”so you’re a Pakistani?”; “No”; “okay then what language do you speak at home” or “whats your mother tongue”; “Sindhi”; “So you’re a Sindhi”; “Nope, I speak a dialect of Sindhi, and we are very different from Sindhi’s”

It goes on.. I can’t justify when I say I’m from Dubai, even though I was born here and lived all my life and it’s the only place in the world I know best.

In Dubai – people would refer to me as ‘the girl is from Mumbai’, In India I’d be known as ‘The girl from Dubai’ or Dubai Girl affectionately by my doctors.

So do I have a place?

I feel appalled when something like the bomb blasts happen in Mumbai. I do have relatives and friends there, but somehow its not the only reason. People I know wouldn’t want to consider me as a ‘Mumbai-ite’, because I never lived there and don’t even know how to get from one place to another!

In Dubai, all I have is a residence visa which could be taken away any time since my dad’s having trouble finding work, and obviously my mom can’t sponsor us until my dad is ‘alive’.

Thinking about all of this, my future, where I belong, writing this post, I feel all the more confused now. Since I’ve lost interest I don’t think I want to write about this anymore… so that’s it.

I know this isnt a unique situation, probably a feeling felt by many expatriates staying in Dubai for generations.

Posted by Harsha :: 2:38 PM :: 13 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------